Thursday, February 12, 2009

Like a pig in heaven

I decided to make Riley's birthday cakes for his kid birthday party. We had a farm theme complete with barns and animals. I used just a regular box cake and canned frosting to make both cakes. Mrs. Betty Crocker has made great improvements in the taste of her cakes. They no longer taste like the box they come in. They are moist and full of flavor.

I found the patterns for both of these cakes on Familyfun.com. They have tons of cake ideas that are easy enough for someone as inept at cake making as myself. The pig cake had a strawberry flavor and the cow was chocolate.



The only hard part about making these cakes was trying to find the right candies to make all the add ons. It is impossible to find black lace licorice in the big town of Helena. I had to cut up regular licorice into small strips.


3 comments:

Sally said...

Super cute!

testing 1 said...

Rockin' skills in the cake dept! I have none, thus we'll be having cow cupcakes with marshmellow noses. I have the FamilyFun Birthday Cake book, and all the animal cakes are taunting me.

Sarah J. said...

Such a cute cake! Never seen a cow cake, very original!